Monday, December 6, 2010

Some Fights Just Aren't Fair

“I don’t want to be super-Lupe-Fiasco-lyrical and niggas don’t know what the fuck I’m talking about"....

Wow...I must have been in a daze this past month to have missed this.  When did Soulja Boy have the nerve to attempt to diss Lupe Fiasco?  Why does this seem like Flava Flav trying to debate Cornel West? lmao...I mean for real?!?

Perhaps in a moment where he was trying to get some attention due to a hip-hop beef, Soulja Boy made this assine comment, in the November issue of XXL magazine, about not trying to rhyme like Lupe.  You can read the XXL online post here:

"I Don't Wanna Be Super-Lupe-Fiasco-Lyrical..."

The saddest, and perhaps most comical, part of the interview, in which Soulja Boy claimed his next album will prove he's not just commercially successful but has also grown lyrically, was when the young rapper stated  “I can’t keep playin’ around, because if you keep playin’ around, people are gonna think you’re a joke.  At some point, you have to get serious.”

I'm wondering when the fuck he stopped being considered a joke?  Before or after he hopped up out the bed to get his pretty boy swag on?  I mean even Weird Al Yankovic made a successful rap song, but that doesn't mean I'll ever take him serious as a rapper.  I place Soulja Boy in this same category.  His early commercial success did little to elevate him for me.

I was really wondering what he expected the outcome of his statement to be?  Did he envision it bringing him some street cred, when he's dissing one of the street's currently most respected emcees?  He's known for campy songs such as "Bird Walk" and "Kiss Me Through the Phone", but yet he's talking bad about a man who is consistently brought up in conversations about the best rappers alive?  To me that is hilarious.

Lupe didn't have to respond at all, but personally, I'm glad he did.

The song he created is so phenomenal, but what else can you expect from a lyrical beast the likes of Lupe Fiasco? (For those of you not hip to this lingo, it's a compliment.  Just go with it.)


Lupe Fiasco --- S.L.R. (Super Lupe Rap)

*Mouth open wide*

I don't even see how Soulja Boy could think about responding. There's no weak dance that can even come close to touching this. As one verse superbly puts it, "Soulja call it Super Lupe Lyrical, You can’t understand me or mimic my miracles."

I feel like Soulja would need a miracle to even try.

the Rare Poet

No comments:

Post a Comment