Monday, February 7, 2011

Because it is Time that We Remove the Chains....

No Cuffs

the dope boys screaming fuck the police, while I
laugh inside,
already aware, and no longer blind,
intellect and pride, the tools I used to survive,
for their enlightenment, is what I strive,
don’t get me wrong
because I feel you, when you swear he wants to
kill you, but here’s a bit of truth we find it
hard to adhere to:
body deaths aren’t the only way
we become casualty, casually living
only out to support self, but if the soul dies, fuck the wealth
always screaming
crooked officer, crooker officer,
why you want to put me in that coffin sir,
but not true, he doesn’t want to see you dead,
would much rather see us in the streets, living misled,
drug dealing, gang-banging, stealing promise, defiling women,
still perpetrating slave with all the mental graves you digging,
killing youth, because they want your swagger,
fiends for the glitz and the glam because they don’t see
the dagger, protruding from your back
a self afflicted wound, you keep stabbing your promise
a suicide coming soon,
but I refuse to let them Oscar Grant me,
using negative media as ammunition to try and
transplant me
back to the roles our forefathers fought to break free from,
and if we keep refusing to use our voices
we might as well
be dumb, I’m dumbfounded
when I observe some of my people,
unwilling to put forth extra effort, when they know the playing field isn’t equal,
and yes the President is black, and I’m proud of that fact,
but a white man still signs his check,
and I too want to see the day we can rise above
black and white, but 485 years after my ancestors were forced here,
things still haven't been made right,
too many places still exist
where I can’t walk the street in peace,
too many hearts and minds still hold to the belief
that my skin makes me inferior to them
which is why my soul can’t cease
stirring up resistance to backwards mindset notions
that keep my people clutching crumbs and constantly hoping
that one day, a real change is going to come

No comments:

Post a Comment