Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Smells like an Adventure

I was cruising the world of really good blogs earlier when I came across a fabulous post.  If you've checked out my blog page, Rare Genius: The Blogs I Read, then you already know that I think 1000 Awesome Things is....well, awesome!!  (If you haven't checked out this page, look at the list of them beneath the blog title.  There's some really neat stuff located just a mouse click away.)

So I was checking out this great blog today, and Awesome Thing #328 really made me grin.  So much that I decided to share a bit of the post with you:

Come on in.
Pull open the wooden door with those giant oversized handles that are smooth and worn down to a light brown finish. Drag your boots over the dirty green carpeted floor that bubbles up in the corners and splashes tiny dust clouds into shimmery orange sunbeams with every step. Feel the calm and comforting library quiet settle like a blanket over your body and your brain as you shuffle past the counters and make your way inside…

If that's not enough to make you smile, then you're probably not an avid reader.  If I could calculate a list of places I've spent the most time in my life, the Hamlet Public Library would come in a close second to Trapped Inside My Head.  The door is no longer wooden, but it does have over-sized handles.  There's a small entryway, followed by a second set of glass doors.  And then you're inside.  The word 'sanctuary' comes to mind, as the quiet settles over you.  Of course, near the front, next to the computers, the quiet rarely lasts long.  Most of my visits are spent, however, all the way in the back.  A long table, usually empty, waits for me there.  Together, my words, my thoughts, and I sit down, and have engaging discussions amongst the three of us.  It's a members only type affair and, for hours, nothing could be better.

Except maybe those comfy red couches from the Scotland County Public Library (located in nearby Laurinburg, NC).  Sitting on those is a nearly divine experience.  And perhaps a new rule that allows a cup of coffee inside, but only if you promise not to spill it.

Either way, the awesomeness of the library cannot be overstated.

Marcus Jamison, the Rare Poet




No comments:

Post a Comment