Monday, November 22, 2010

Things That Make You Go Hmmm....

Hey, Hey, Hey!!!  I'll Be the Judge of That!


Ever here the one about the federal judge, the coke-sniffing hooker, and the FBI?

While this sounds like the beginnings of a wickedly funny joke, it's actually the main ingredients of sad but true events.  While I was watching the news earlier this week (I try to catch it every morning, but sometimes my crazy sleep habits prevents this), I came across a story that made me think "damn, can people really be that reckless?"



A 67 year old federal judge, Jack Camp Jr., pled guilty to two counts of drug charges on Friday.

The Senior US District Court Judge also admitted to giving a woman money to by drugs, as well as one count of conversion of government property. 


Apparently, the naughty judge gave this lady friend a government-issued laptop.  The fact that the lady was Sherry Ann Ramos, a 26 year old prostitute is merely icing on corruption's cake. 

What type of society do we live in where those supposedly in the authority to interpret and uphold the laws are the ones breaking them?  FBI agents arrested Camp on October 1, after he attempted to purchase drugs from an undercover officer.  Prosecutors also say that the judge gave Ramos money to buy cocaine, marijuana, and roxicodone, which the two frequently used together.

Camp will be sentenced on March 4.

A statement issued by the former judges' attorneys, which seems a bit idiotic in my opinion, says that Camp has taken responsibility, and will spend the next several months trying to understand the "uncharacteristic nature of his actions." 

Let me just say that if it was sooo uncharacteristic, why did it happen multiple times?

Sadly, I'm not surprised.  I feel like if we do a clean sweep of the current justice system we'll find far too many figures like Camp in positions of power.  And the problem will persist, until someone attempts to change it.

the Rare Poet

No comments:

Post a Comment