Sunday, October 3, 2010

Quickie of the Day, Sunday, Oct. 3, 2010

Sedative

harsh, this night is a wakened sting
a lover’s hand, curled into a fist
my eyes trace shadows against my wall
waiting for whatever will bring them
surrender
her first yell is always this unanticipated car alarm
some yelping dog, or a baby crying
something that comes like
a gunshot against the stillness
I hear it, but ignore the warning
then
shouting always gives way to punches
hit once, hit twice
a scream that crushes eardrum, soul impacted
by words hurled out through the dark, like javelins
“bitch, I wish you would die..”

they’re at it again
2 and 16 meet in digital red
on the clock at the edge of my nightstand
announcing both my restlessness
and their nightly drama’s incessant arrival
beneath my window, the downstairs neighbors
throwing insults and blows like
rocks against my pane

if I were sleeping, this would wake me

but I’ve heard it so many times before
that it only makes me sick
often feels like crude burlesque
a parody of two intending to kill
instead of this
a 170lb cocoa skinned woman
being loved to death by her 230lb man
or the sorry excuse of one he becomes
after a bone breaks or blood starts to pour
or she finds weapon or word enough to
make him cease
they always sit down, together
on the side of the curb, shaded in moonlight
chaos subsided into peace

and I just listen
to all of his reassurances
and I listen
to all her demands
I just listen, can almost hear that very moment
when his shoulder makes room for her head
and that’s how they stay there
together, sitting in comfort, side by side, until morning comes

we don’t bother to call the cops anymore
or drop the numbers of shelters in her basket
when she does laundry alone
by nightfall, the yelling will commence again
and my window, rattled by the impact of blows
she won’t leave him
and he won’t walk away, though I’ve seen him
watch her with tears in his eyes
knowing very well the full impact of his rage
as she sits on the stoop, cloudy sky, arms folded
on her face she wears shades
and the unmistakable disposition of broken
which he not proudly made

it breaks my heart in two most nights
when I hear her initial cry
or see her the next morning, begging for understanding
through bruised eye
or think of how much she’ll give and give
and give, and give and give
and give….until, eventually
just like I manage to do
she’ll block out her thoughts, close weary eyes…
and finally get some sleep

1 comment:

  1. I've felt that fury. No woman should or deserves to experience it.

    ReplyDelete