Monday, January 23, 2012

Being Prompted, Jan. 23, 2012

I love this prompt, because I am so impressed by its author.  Those of you who know me will quickly agree that Chookoolonks is one of my favorite sights on all the web.  Mrs. Walrond has the remarkable talent of finding beauty wherever she seeks it.  It is seen in her photographs, it is embedded within her thoughts and ideas, and it resonates to all who witness these things.  Here is her prompt (also taken from the reverb10 website, which unfortunately is no longer active).   

Beautifully Different.
Think about what makes you different and what you do that lights people up. Reflect on all the things that make you different – you’ll find they’re what make you beautiful.
(Author: Karen Walrond)


To describe all of the things that make me different feels like a daunting task.  Even as a small child, I've always felt I am cut from a different cloth.  There are several things that make me different, but the one that stands out is my mind.  Or more accurately, it's the way I think.  I've always been able to analyze things from all sides.  Even when I have a particular point of view or opinion on a subject, I often find myself examining it from the opposite angle, if only to gain some perspective.  I think this trait has serve as both a benefit and a hindrance.  It is wonderful to be open-minded, but such deep analysis often leads to stagnancy or procrastination.  


Yet my mind remains my greatest asset and also the one thing that sets me apart from others.  There are other writers in the world, other fathers, other thinkers, but none of them think like me.  Thoughts lead to actions, which eventually determine who we are and how we are remembered.  I'd certainly love to be remembered for this complex, beautiful mind of mine.


It has led to all of the words and insights I've shared with others.  Hopefully these things light people up and leave them smiling, pondering, and formulating thoughts of their own.  If so, they served a purpose.


What makes you beautifully different?


Marcus Jamison, the Rare Poet





No comments:

Post a Comment