Friday, November 25, 2011

Life's Not So Rare Lessons, Nov. 25, 2011

Life is what you make of it.

Sometimes, life really sneaks up on you.




This was something I was told in a conversation that really made me think.  When you hear this, it probably conjures up images of life overtaking you, most likely for the worse.  But it doesn't have to be that way.  Even when life sneaks up on you and you start to realize that things aren't going the way you want them to, it's best to look at it as an opportunity.

This is the chance to get life back on track.  Look at how your life is going, and if you don't like it, figure out why.  From there, look for opportunities where you can implement changes for the better.  Don't let it overwhelm you.  If someone had told me I'd be 30 years old, unemployed, and trying my best to just hold it together, I probably would have panicked.  But I've looked at my life and realize there are plenty of opportunities for change.  I'm learning new skills, meeting new people, and still pushing my way towards my dream.  I'm learning about myself as well.  I'm stronger than I once believed.  I'm wiser than I used to be.  And I've developed a ton of patience, the kind necessary to achieve what I want for my life.

Yes, life has been sneaking up on me.  There are things I assumed I would have done by now.  There are places I expected to be.  But the best part about it is, I'm not looking at this as defeat.  I'm still striving.  And who said there's a time limit on getting to exactly where you want to be?

In less than a month, I'll turn 31.  According to my teenage self, I should be a multimillionaire by now.  But Rome wasn't built in a day, as the saying goes, and a life you're completely happy to live is worthwhile, regardless of how long it takes you to get there.

Keep believing in yourself, keep reaching for those goals, and keep seeking ways to make yourself happier.  When it's the life that you know you want, you'll enjoy every second of it.

And that's what happiness really is.

Marcus Jamison, the Rare Poet

No comments:

Post a Comment