Friday, August 12, 2011

Starting to Feel I Can Do This

As I stated earlier, I'm going back to school again.  Today, I took the very first step, by completing my placement tests in English and Math.  Once upon a time, I loved testing.  There was little pressure and it gave me an opportunity to display things that I had learned.  Unfortunately, that was many years ago.  I haven't taken a math class since 2002.  English worries me a lot less, since I explore it on a daily basis.  But this morning, I was nervous.

I kept worrying that I had forgotten the basic principles of curriculum that I had studied so long ago.  I was probably making these tests much more difficult than necessary.  So I arrived here for my 1:00 p.m. test time.


Once I arrived, I seemed to relax immediately.  Fellow test-takers were their waiting in the lobby.  As soon as it was time to start, I wondered what I was so worried about.  I can do this.

I just needed to remind myself.  I know that it's been a long time since I was enrolled in school, but that doesn't mean this has to be a challenging experience.  I am my own biggest critic, but I am also my biggest fan.  I know my potential better than anyone, so I shouldn't ever doubt myself.

As soon as the test started, I was happy for the pep talk I'd given myself.  It was a little difficult recalling some of the algebra, a class I haven't taken since like 10th grade.  But I did it.  The English portion of the test came much naturally.  All in all, I was very pleased with my scores.

Math - 118
English - 110 and 119

The lady congratulated me on my scores, letting me know 120 is the highest score for most of the tests.  If that's the case, I am overjoyed.  And pleased to say that I placed out of all the courses I wanted to place out of.  Looking forward to August 22 even more now.

Whenever it seems like there is something you can't accomplish, remind yourself that you are capable.  You can do it.  And the first step is believing that you can.

Marcus Jamison, the Rare Poet

No comments:

Post a Comment