Wednesday, February 23, 2011

To Become the Poet that I Know I Can Be

I have always loved poetry.  It is an ingrained portion of my emotional and mental well being that has always brought me great joy.  But I don't want it to become some inveterate task that I aimlessly reach for when an idea comes.  I want it to be more.  Because of my love for it.  Because of the passion that moves me whenever I read my own words, as well as those of others.

Which is why I was happy when I came across this wonderful post from fellow poet and oft inspiring blogger, Angela Felsted of My Poetry and Prose Place.  Reading her words invoked me to challenge myself.  To look for new plateaus in order to raise my poetry to the level that I feel it should be at.  And I think this begins with vocabulary.  There are words out there, beautiful, supple words, just waiting for me to reach them.  I will seek them out.  Befriend them.  And my poetry will benefit immensely.

(Upon closer reading, I realize that these words are actually by guest blogger Laurel Garver, also an equally amazing writer and blogger.  Check out Laurel's Leaves, as well)

Marcus Jamison, the Rare Poet

No comments:

Post a Comment