Wednesday, January 19, 2011

On Seizures

This is probably something that my mind has been waiting for me to write for a long time.....



On Seizures

there was always this moment,
just before it happened,
when I knew that it was coming
but I couldn’t think to run,
a train, full speed, with a foot stuck
on the tracks,
picture disappearing, or
slowly coming undone

there was this taste
I imagine it is like tasting Death
that taste just hits the mouth but
doesn’t really have a flavor,
instead it feels like
time is unwinding,
tastes like darkness,
feels like
all hope is being
swallowed, and then
the first shudder comes

it starts in the mind,
doors closing, windows slammed shut,
cords being yanked from the wall
as if I know the power’s going

fuck!!!
brace yourself…
think of something….
hurry up!!!
fuck!!!
think of anything….
think of something else….

and just as suddenly as I notice
that I’m arguing with myself, in my head
there is another shudder,
heart steady pumping, until
the mind becomes
a black hole

I wish I could recall what the shaking really feels like
what the pain really is, as my muscles would spasm
beyond my control,
but I was too far gone to feel them
and only reminded of the pain
from the occasional cut or bruise
I can’t really picture Death,
but I’ve been to nowhere,
that empty slab of nothing when
body is suddenly cut off from mind,
it is hell, without lights or sound,
a torture without a name
coming back always seems like a task
and it feels like part of you
somehow stays

waking up will make you think of survival
I used to marvel at the first time stares
of witnesses too shaken, trying to decide
whether laughing or crying
would make me feel better,
they would always say get up
but they couldn’t feel the
invisible weight,
they’d ask the questions that they
thought made sense,
like my name, my location, the date,
sometimes, I couldn’t answer,
the headache after was always
a new kind of pain,
getting hit by something that
remains unseen,
there was always an arm that
wouldn’t lift properly for a while
as if still trapped in that
mental sling,
slow motion recollection
as short term memory loss
became long term reflection
and I always wondered
just how much of Death
had I seen

it’s been years now,
I don’t get so anxious anymore,
though a part of my mind
always thinks about the last,
and if it’s really over, or if another one
is lurking,
somewhere, where the thoughts
move too fast 

5 comments:

  1. Every once and a while I think back to those days for myself. I think it's God's way of saying "I was there remember, I'll always be here" I used to run my finger across my tounge because I would get a taste or sensation there; or I'd see and not see at the same time--Mind you I lived where I had to take buses and trains regularly, so I had to plan (which doesn't really work), and I had to actually leave my work place walk around the building and talk to the condition...aloud. Needless to say I looked for empty streets to walk on. Gradually I learned I was a sponge. I pulled in others emotions, confusion (which made me nervous, but there was no output. Then I learned what your learning, relax..."relax, it's not you. touch the pit of your stomach, and pray whatever, or whoever's feelings your feeling, off." That worked for me (and sadly a quick blast of cold shower. I guess my nerves got shocked and focused on being cold. And I would jump out of bed and into the shower. Then I just started saying "fuck you, I'm sleepy"...it worked-for some reason) 'cause my main lesson was that I was actually scaring myself more than anything, and stress will woop your ass and make you think you can't breath when all you have to do is inhale. It's been eight years. Only after five did I STOP worrying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lmao...omg, can I relate to so much of what you said!! (the fuck you, I'm sleepy!!!....lmao). It's interesting you mentioned other peoples emotions, because I swear I remember times when I was fine, and a little negativity would show up and suddenly I'm somewhere walking in a circle telling myself "Not now!!" The worrying comes in spurts now, which I can handle, because I remember a time when I couldn't go a few minutes without thinking about. Thank God for progress!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sound like your learning about your strength and taking the reigns...continued growth and blessings, bruh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, I'm trying to. (omg!! this clicking every letter of a word is making me mad...lol...must get this fixed) lol@typo..me too, but those are just two commonly confused words

    ReplyDelete