Sunday, January 9, 2011

Living The Visual Life

I've been hearing about the Sartorialist for a while now, and finally decided to check him out for myself.  Scott Schuman has worked in the fashion industry for years.  From the fashion heavens of Seventh Avenue, showcasing high-end designs from Helmut Lang and Jean-Paul Gaultier, he has always been connected to the cool and stylish.  Then he got the idea to leave the showrooms behind and focus his energy into creating a blog that displays photographs of those really cool everyday people who have their own unique sense of style.  Five years later, he is listed among Time magazine's top 100 design influencers.  I believe this short documentary clearly helps us understand why.




I love watching him watch people.  You can see the eagerness, sense the appreciation.  There is passion in his eyes.  He has that artist's determination, scanning about searching for something to inspire.  I believe this is what helps him continuously be able to find such wonderful subjects to photograph.

"You could ask most chefs.  And they would need 5 ingredients, 1 pan, and a stick of butter, and they can make the best meal you've ever had, and I think that's really where most photographers would like to get to..."  ---- Scott Schuman

Luckily for us, Scott has learned to present to photographs akin to five-star cuisine.  Our eyes can't help but feast.

Marcus Jamison, the Rare Poet

2 comments:

  1. I like that you promote other peoples artistry and frame of mind besides your own. Great thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you....I actually find that I can't help it. I see something that motivates, inspires, has a beauty about it, etc., and I find myself wanting to share it, because I hope someone else can find the same thing in all of these remarkable people.

    ReplyDelete