Wednesday, December 1, 2010

A Poem That's Been On My Mind

This poem was born from words torn out....because sometimes whatever is a hell of a lot easier to say.....

the Rare Poet



Separated Pages

for Marlese

I am the boy that your heart warned you about getting close to
you’re the girl mine told me to never chase after
together, we are inextinguishable fire
but maybe that is our disaster

you see, too often, we just let it burn

I love licking your irrational flames
and you just want to melt into me
but there’s a kindling that is missing
and I learned this long ago
all fires left unattended eventually
go out

and so now, I’m too consumed
and you’re too consumed
to let sparks flicker and fade, so we
torture ourselves trying
like two wet sticks
we rub together the hopes we made
oblivious that the fire keeps dying
because while feelings may not change
the possibility stretches thin
when thoughts of impending miles
make confused hearts start to panic
we run out of words
due to the realistic fear that
if there was anything left to say, we would have already said it
we would have already found a way
out of no way, to make this make some sense
instead of awkward hearts
clutching fragile dreams, or frightened ones running away
from the unseen

and it’s a shame
because you were so beautiful, when I
stretched across your axis
and yet you think forgetting will be easy for me
I’ve just had way too much practice
so I scream, a bit more gracefully
and I regret, a lot less open
take all the time I can to soak in your smile
and all the while, keep hoping
that beneath the heart that flutters
there’s an uncaring colder than late December
that coiled within your tender hands
is an unclaimed spot that I can’t enter
that behind those lovely eyes I stared at often
there exists an iron will
just in case, when it’s all said and done for real
it breaks your heart
to remember

that I am the boy your heart warned you about getting close to

No comments:

Post a Comment