Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Proud of Myself

Monday turned out to be a pretty productive day.  I ended up writing a lot more than I realized, and then even forced myself to focus on some much needed editing of the finished novel.  More and more each day, I'm understanding, from doing research and talking to a few writers who have actually been published, that this is not an overnight process.  Although finishing was the first step, it was not the only one.  For every 50,000 writers who have ever completed the task of finishing a novel, around 500 of them will have what is takes to continue forward.  And out of that 500, maybe about 50 will actually get some real attention paid to their query letter.  Unfortunately, out of those 50, five might be asked to send in a manuscript.  And out of those, they may decide they like just one.

I am perfecting how to be that one, every single time.

I realize that what makes this different from any other goal I've ever set in my life.  I am prepared to keep trying, even if it takes an entire lifetime.  Either my name will rest at the top spot of the New York Times Bestseller List, or I'll smile on the way to the grave knowing that I gave it everything I had.

Marcus Jamison, the Rare Poet

No comments:

Post a Comment